a (fictional?) story
I heard a voice. It was coming from somewhere, but there was no one around. It said "Let me walk you through this. Let me help you. Hold my hand. Lean on me. We'll do it together." Well, I knew that it was God. But the world had drowned Him out once again. I could barely hear these words, and when I did, the world repeated the words, but with distortion. "Walk through it alone. You don't need help. Be independent. Don't trust anyone."
So I listened to the world. It was too loud, what was I supposed to do? So I walked down the road that I decided to travel on. This is the road that, before, I had heard God clearly tell me to walk it. As I got farther and farther on the road, it became murkier and murkier. Pretty soon, I was up to my ankles, trudging along at a very slow pace. I knew I couldn't do it alone, but the world was still shouting "independence" in my ear.
I was almost swimming in mud after a time. My legs hurt from pushing through it all. My stomach hurt from the smell. I started using my arms to push me through. Without warning, I sunk down to my chin. There was nowhere to put my feet. No steady ground. The mud was pushing on my chest. Not only could I barely keep my nose and mouth out of the mud, but I could barely breath from the mud crushing me. I tried to tell myself "it's only water, I'm a lifeguard, good swimmer, I can get through this." But this was no water. I could hardly move my arms.
How is it going to end? I don't know. The story is past tense, but the ending is in the future. Will the lead character realize that God can still get her out of the mess? Will she allow Him to do that? Will she let fear take her over? Will she let the world continue to shout in her ears? Or will she shut it all out only to hear her Father? Only God knows the ending.
So I listened to the world. It was too loud, what was I supposed to do? So I walked down the road that I decided to travel on. This is the road that, before, I had heard God clearly tell me to walk it. As I got farther and farther on the road, it became murkier and murkier. Pretty soon, I was up to my ankles, trudging along at a very slow pace. I knew I couldn't do it alone, but the world was still shouting "independence" in my ear.
I was almost swimming in mud after a time. My legs hurt from pushing through it all. My stomach hurt from the smell. I started using my arms to push me through. Without warning, I sunk down to my chin. There was nowhere to put my feet. No steady ground. The mud was pushing on my chest. Not only could I barely keep my nose and mouth out of the mud, but I could barely breath from the mud crushing me. I tried to tell myself "it's only water, I'm a lifeguard, good swimmer, I can get through this." But this was no water. I could hardly move my arms.
How is it going to end? I don't know. The story is past tense, but the ending is in the future. Will the lead character realize that God can still get her out of the mess? Will she allow Him to do that? Will she let fear take her over? Will she let the world continue to shout in her ears? Or will she shut it all out only to hear her Father? Only God knows the ending.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home