wise words from a friend
"I need to be active and busy with LIFE! Enough of textbooks, theories, debates, and lectures! I want life, not stale dust!"
oh yeah. I forgot. I'm supposed to be enjoying my time as a 20 year old. Instead I'm running to this and going to that. I have 5 sources of income. I have a rent to pay for. I have 3 hard classes to study for. I have Ignite, church, and youth group that I am all heavily involved in. I don't just attend church, I DO church. I keep thinking "one more thing couldn't hurt". Yes, it is possible to do all the things that I'm doing, but do I *want* to do them? that's the question. So what am I doing, and why am I doing it? time for reflection:
1) working at the Y. I love it. I get to affect people's lives. I get to smile at people. I get to save lives on occasion. I get to make someone's day. I get to pray for people (not outloud *yet*) while they're swimming. I get to add to a childhood memory of a really cool swim teacher who helped them overcome their fear.
2) coaching swim team. I'm in these kids lives for a reason. I get to ask them about their day. I get to encourage them, especially when they feel discouraged. I get to tell them how amazing they are, and how beautiful they are and how much they are loved.
3) teaching piano lessons. I get to help 4 girls realize what an amazing gift music is. Not only does it stimulate the brain and make you smarter, but it brings so much joy to be able to sit and play a piece of music that you never thought you could play. Or sit and make music to God, by just playing a few notes together. I get to be in their lives when I wouldn't otherwise see them all the time. I get to be a life-long memory to these girls.
4) staying overnight with the Hines. They now call me their sister. It's great. I love being an older sister to many.
5) Ignite. PLU is where God has placed me for this season of my life. He has given me such a heart for this campus. And He has brought me to a new place as a worship leader. I absolutely love it! Even though sometimes it is hard, and sometimes I don't want to live up to the high calling God has placed on my life, I know that this is who God has created me to be. And Ignite is the place that God has chosen for me to grow, and further establish that firm foundation in Him.
6) School. This is a tough one. I love learning. But at the same time, I hate how time consuming my classes can be. And sometimes how frustrating. And how contraversial. But school is definitely NOT a life-long dream of mine. I'll be fine when I'm *done* with college and graduate school if God calls me there.
7) youth group. Again, here I am, in the community, changing kids lives.
8) worship team at PSCC. I took a break during the fall, but I'm back, and I love it. Playing piano is such a passion of mine, and being able to play with not only great musicians, but great worshippers is such a blessing, and I do not see it as being a stressor.
So there you have it. 8 major commitments of mine, none of which I am willing to give up at this point it time. Summer will come soon though, and a few of these commitments will cease, or lessen. I just need to trust that God will carry me through. And part of that is remembering that I have to be finding time to rest in Him. Not just rest, but rest in Him. I need a date with the prayer shack! But even more I need a date with the Creator of the world! He's calling me closer and all I have to do is surrender. Here I am Lord, take me.... ALL OF ME!
oh yeah. I forgot. I'm supposed to be enjoying my time as a 20 year old. Instead I'm running to this and going to that. I have 5 sources of income. I have a rent to pay for. I have 3 hard classes to study for. I have Ignite, church, and youth group that I am all heavily involved in. I don't just attend church, I DO church. I keep thinking "one more thing couldn't hurt". Yes, it is possible to do all the things that I'm doing, but do I *want* to do them? that's the question. So what am I doing, and why am I doing it? time for reflection:
1) working at the Y. I love it. I get to affect people's lives. I get to smile at people. I get to save lives on occasion. I get to make someone's day. I get to pray for people (not outloud *yet*) while they're swimming. I get to add to a childhood memory of a really cool swim teacher who helped them overcome their fear.
2) coaching swim team. I'm in these kids lives for a reason. I get to ask them about their day. I get to encourage them, especially when they feel discouraged. I get to tell them how amazing they are, and how beautiful they are and how much they are loved.
3) teaching piano lessons. I get to help 4 girls realize what an amazing gift music is. Not only does it stimulate the brain and make you smarter, but it brings so much joy to be able to sit and play a piece of music that you never thought you could play. Or sit and make music to God, by just playing a few notes together. I get to be in their lives when I wouldn't otherwise see them all the time. I get to be a life-long memory to these girls.
4) staying overnight with the Hines. They now call me their sister. It's great. I love being an older sister to many.
5) Ignite. PLU is where God has placed me for this season of my life. He has given me such a heart for this campus. And He has brought me to a new place as a worship leader. I absolutely love it! Even though sometimes it is hard, and sometimes I don't want to live up to the high calling God has placed on my life, I know that this is who God has created me to be. And Ignite is the place that God has chosen for me to grow, and further establish that firm foundation in Him.
6) School. This is a tough one. I love learning. But at the same time, I hate how time consuming my classes can be. And sometimes how frustrating. And how contraversial. But school is definitely NOT a life-long dream of mine. I'll be fine when I'm *done* with college and graduate school if God calls me there.
7) youth group. Again, here I am, in the community, changing kids lives.
8) worship team at PSCC. I took a break during the fall, but I'm back, and I love it. Playing piano is such a passion of mine, and being able to play with not only great musicians, but great worshippers is such a blessing, and I do not see it as being a stressor.
So there you have it. 8 major commitments of mine, none of which I am willing to give up at this point it time. Summer will come soon though, and a few of these commitments will cease, or lessen. I just need to trust that God will carry me through. And part of that is remembering that I have to be finding time to rest in Him. Not just rest, but rest in Him. I need a date with the prayer shack! But even more I need a date with the Creator of the world! He's calling me closer and all I have to do is surrender. Here I am Lord, take me.... ALL OF ME!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home